Thursday, April 29, 2010

10 Things About Being A Parent I'm Sure Someone Told Me....

But I was too busy to listen to. Or I didn't believe at the time. Or I was sure wouldn't apply to me. If only I had listened the first time when my photographic memory was in tact. It was all SO true, and I would have had a heads up!! Now that I have a memory the size of a sweet pea, I figured I should write them down for future reference. Here they are...

1. Your child will start to manipulate you around 4 months of age... or in my case at birth!:) You will find out you are not as smart as you thought you were.
2. Google will become your best friend. You can find any and ALL answers here! You realize quickly just how much you did not know.
3. Your boobs(or your spouse's boobs) will become the size of watermelons during pregnancy and stay that way throughout breastfeeding... and you better enjoy it while it lasts! As soon as the weaning is over the watermelons are flattened to pancakes. Yikes!
4. Grocery shopping is changed forever. There is never a moment of silence. A list and coupons are always needed.
5. Snot, urine, poop, spit or blood will no longer gross you out.
6. If you thought money was lacking before kids, you. were. wrong. Oh, and you can never borrow your way out of debt.
7. All of the things you learned from your parents that you swore you would never repeat... get ready. Repeat, repeat, repeat. I guess we're just creatures of habit! And they were right about time. You will have NONE. Zip. Zilch. It is gone forever.
8. You will have the equivalent to a masters degree in the subject of poop by the time your first child is 1 month of age. After all, the size, color, shape and frequency can tell you if your child is sick or not.
9. Your child will embarrass you on a deeper level than you have ever been embarrassed in your life.... and probably more than once. They are just little people trying to figure out this big world, and they say what they want when they want. Prepare yourself for it.

And last but not least...

10. You will do it all over again if given the option. The way you will feel for your child is unlike anything else you will ever know. It truly is unconditional love.

Aren't you so glad I jotted those down for you? Don't worry, I have a few pictures for those of you that couldn't wait to get to the end of that just to see if pictures were there. I finally got the pictures the church photographer took from Hayden's dedication, as well as some other random ones that somehow never got posted over the last few months. Enjoy!:)

Just the three of us...

The whole gang!

Auntie May's Birthday Dinner!

All dressed and ready for Michael and Maggie's Wedding!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I LOVED this post! So true! The boob one was my favorite. I'm pretty sure NO ONE told me that! :)

Katie Reeder said...

Love it. The boob one scares me:)! Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Michele said...

Hilarious post!!! ALL OF THEM are sooooo true! And the Boob one... Love it! (well love how it is so true, but hate how true it is at the same time)