Thursday, March 17, 2011

No Pinching!

Green or no green... who could pinch these cuties?!?

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone! I hope you all wore your green today... we sure did! No pinching any of us! Funny enough, I have never even really known why we all wear green on this day. I've never even paid attention to what the day is about, I've just always worn green. It never mattered to me why... I was told I would be pinched if I didn't wear green and that was enough for me. Well, not for Hayden. As we were picking out our clothes last night for today, I told him we were going to have to choose something green for St. Patrick's Day. He looked at me with his "huh?!?" face and proceeded to say "Why?"(pronounced Vhy by the way!) I gave him the answer I had heard my whole life... "because if we don't wear green on St. Patrick's Day we will get pinched." After a few seconds of silence I hear "peeeennched?" I reply to him "Yes, if you don't wear green tomorrow you are giving others permission to pinch you!" I just assumed the conversation would end with that statement like it had always ended for me, but no such luck. A few more seconds of him thinking about what I had said and again I hear "Why?" Well, instead of making up a story I decided to tell him the truth. "Ummmmm.... I really don't know why Hayden. I will look it up for you and tell you tomorrow okay?" He quickly reply's "Ootaaay, Momma!" Lucky for me he let the conversation end here and we finished our nightly routine before bed. Fast forward to 7:30am this morning. Hayden wakes up, comes in my room and says "Why green(pronounced geeeennnnn) today Momma?" Yikes. He must have dreamed about this last night. I am so thankful for the internet because without it last night I would have not had an answer for Hayden this morning. So, just in case you are like Hayden and want to know "vhy" we wear green today here is what I found out(Please keep in mind this may not be true at all because it is just from some random google search I did, but it sounded true enough for me so I went with it. I just didn't have it in me to find out if it was a credible source or not!). First of all, it is entirely an American tradition to get pinched if you don't wear green. Go figure, right? The tradition is believed to have started sometime back in the 1700's. St. Patrick's revelers thought wearing green made one invisible to leprechauns. Leprechauns were fairy creatures who would pinch anyone they could see, but for some reason they could not see green. Therefore anyone wearing green would not be pinched. People began pinching those who didn’t wear green as a reminder that leprechauns would sneak up and pinch anyone not wearing green. You gotta watch out for those leprechauns! I just knew this story was going to create even more why's, but I was wrong. He just listened to my explanation and said "Otay I vear geen now. No peeeennnching Momma" Phew. My answer was good enough for a 2 year old!:) Now for some fun pics...

Yes, we play with rocks and golf balls at the same time around here!

Aren't these just the cutest PJ's?!?

Having fun before bed...

I'm pretty sure we got out every.single.animal for story time!

Happy Hayden!

Drool anyone?!?

Sweet boy!

Laughing at his big brother...

Who was so excited he spotted an airplane!!!

A little leprechaun of my own!

And one very happy 6 month old!:)

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Very funny story! Curious little Hayden! Ellie was totally okay with the, “we just have to wear green,” thank goodness. I know a thing or two about St. Pat’s day, ONLY because I’m a first grade teacher and I have curious little ones like Hayden, but I didn’t know the reason behind the pinching.
Oh and as always, love the pictures! Your boys are adorable!

Tiz said...

I could pinch those cheeks all day!!