Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fun with Eggs...

When I say fun, I MEAN fun!!!

Easter Eggs that is! I'm so glad my boys love this part of Easter as much as I do!! It's something I look forward to every year and from the looks of it, it's something the boys are always going to look forward to as well! It's creative, it's time consuming, it's messy, and most of all... it's FUN! This year we chose to do Cars themed eggs, which was perfect! Hayden and Sawyer both love the Cars movies, and more importantly, LOVE the actual cars themselves. As I have stated many times before, those little diecast cars provide the boys with HUGE amounts of fun! And one time a year, those little white eggs that are so yummy to eat for breakfast all scrambled up with cheese are SO much fun to hard boil, dye, and decorate! I have always let the boys be as involved as I thought they could be, and each year they are able to do more and more. This year, Sawyer got to actually dye his very first egg all.by.himself! We assisted him with this task last year, but this year he actually got to hold an egg and drop it in all alone. He was BIG stuff, and super proud of himself. As for Hayden, he had just as much fun "helping" Sawyer as he did making his own eggs! He's a great big brother!

Dying his very first egg! Can you tell Hayden
and I were super excited for him?!?


In it goes!!!

Hayden getting ready to dye him a couple eggs!

In they go!

Of course, Hayden is a pro at the egg dying process(according to him that is!), but loves it just as much as he did the first time. Maybe even more! He smiles from ear to ear the entire time we are making our eggs...

Watching his egg turn yellow!!!

If you were at our house during this process, you would hear an unlimited amount of "I did it, Mom, I did it!" He gets so excited when he sees it changing color. We usually let them sit for a few minutes before taking them out, during which time the boys can't keep their hands off the containers...

They watch....

And watch...

And watch some more!

Oh, and how could I forget the Oooooing and Ahhhhing
over them? They were pretty amazing!:)

Of course Hayden had to touch one or two!

And even shake them around a time or two as well...
that does help get them fully colored you know!:)

All while having the best time ever of course!

The shaking and touching(and turning the container upside down by Sawyer!) is where I ran into the ever famous dye on shirt problem. Yes, this happened to me last year. And yes, I said last year I would be smarter and never let them wear their nice shirts when dying eggs again, but apparently I forgot that when this year came around. Next year will be my year. I'm sure of it. They will have official egg dying tee shirts next year that they can get all the dye they want on!:) BUT, just in case you are like me and end up with dye on a nice shirt I'm going to tell you how to get it out without leaving a trace. Caution: this is a time consuming process, but it does work! First, put a cup of distilled white vinegar into enough hot water to place the stained item in. Then, soak the item for about an hour(until the water starts to cool). Remove the item from the mixture and wring out the water, then place a bit of stain remover where the stain was/is. Next, put the item into the washing machine for a normal cycle. Add 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar along with regular washing detergent to the cycle and wash away. I didn't put anything else in the wash because of the vinegar, but I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt anything if you needed to. When the cycle has completed, take the item out and make sure the stain is gone before drying. Hopefully you hear the words "Voila!" in your head like I did when this process is over! The two shirts I tried this on came out as clean as ever, so I went ahead and put them in the dryer. If the shirts were still a little stained after the cycle ended, I would try the process once again but maybe with a little extra stain remover. The boys have been wearing their shirts as much as before with no stain in sight. Hopefully I'll never have to repeat the process, but with boys I'm pretty sure I already know that isn't going to happen!! At least they know how to get dirty and have a good time right?!?

I mean who wouldn't want to grab one of the newly dyed
eggs? Especially if it meant you got a blue hand!!!

All the pretty eggs... can you tell how proud he was?!?

Fun with egg dye!

They also really enjoyed the stickers...

Especially when they got to put them on their eggs!

Sawyer wasn't too sure how to get his stickers to actually stick
to the eggs at first, but he sure had fun watching Hayden!

And it didn't take long before Hayden started
"helping" Sawyer learn the ropes!

But even after learning, somehow he still placed
a couple stickers on his own shirt!:)

Decorating away!

Taking their jobs very seriously!

Hayden was very specific about where he
wanted certain stickers to be placed.

And was very pleased when they turned out just like he planned!:)

I LOVE this expression!

Guess what these little hands were doing?

Cracking the egg to see what was inside! Only a boy!

Little side note here. I'm pretty sure this was one of the 2 or 3 eggs that at some point fell off the bar and got cracked but I was sure they could still use to decorate. I had no idea one of them would think it was a good idea to put their fingers inside the tiny cracks! Silly me for not thinking huh?!?

Sawyer's favorite cracked egg did end up with a couple stickers!

Hayden's favorite egg! He reminded me MANY
times that he made it all by himself! So proud!

All of their masterpieces!

Sweet boy!

Smiling with all the eggs!

And of course... the sum it all up collage!

Egg decorating fun 2012!

I sure hope we always have this much fun decorating Easter eggs! Love this tradition!

No comments: